Friday 22 July 2011

Monkeys and Elephants

Well my mind is changing a bit about Ubud.  It's still one massive shop/restaurant/spa but I've had a really good 5 days and haven't felt lonely for a minute!  When I've wanted to chill out, I've sat by the pool in my hotel with my kindle, which has quite possibly been the best thing I've ever bought, and read.  I think I'm on book number 5 now, so in my terms of chilling out and reading, I don't think I could have done much better.  And some exciting news, I have a vague strap mark on my should and haven't burnt, so maybe I might return home one shade darker than when I left, woop fucking woop!  I'm still sticking to the factor 30 though.

So what have I done other than attempt to barter a silk dress down from 30 quid to a fiver and failed?  Ummm, went to the monkey forest on Tues, have I already mentioned this?  I don't think so.  And spent a couple of hours there wondering around and laughing at the babies who are so curious.  So  curious that one climbed up my leg and sat on my shoulder for a while before I crouched down and gently shook it off so it would go back onto the ground.  A bit of a shame no one was there to take a photo, but never mind.  I also spend quite a lot of the time laughing at the size of the adult male monkeys balls which are ENORMOUS!  And at the odd willy when I saw it, and no, I wasn't looking on purpose, fucking dirty perverts the lot of you.

I also wondered around up and down the monkey forest road and up to the palace and temple for a while, had supper at the hotel and went to bed.  On Wednesday  I was up at stupid o'clock to be picked up between 8 and 9 am to go and see ELEPHANTS!!!!!!!!!!  I was with a hilarious gay couple from the states and one of them, who I will now love until the day I die, thought I was the funniest person he's ever met and pissed himself basically every time I said anything.  And I know you will all be laughing at this because I'm not funny, but I promise you, this is the truth!  And NO he was NOT laughing at me.

Went on a elephant ride and got chatted up by the elephant keeper guy which was quite funny.  We then watched a show, had lunch and headed back.  There were also 3 babies there (elephants, not humans), they were all born in 2009 so spent a fairly long time aaahing over them.  And yes, I have about a million photos both in colour and black and white.  Have finally played around with my camera and have found such delightful settings as black and white and sepia so watch this space, a budding photographer is emerging.....well, ummm, sort of....maybe not.  Anyways, I'm having fun which is good because I'm on my own and it would be pretty shit if I wasn't.

Today (actually yesterday as it wrote it yesterday and am posting it today)pootled around the forest road again and found starbucks.  Amazing, they are EVERYWHERE!!  And no, I didn't buy one, and yes, I did take a photo of the sign...what else have I done?  Went for a swim, seem to be slowly but surely conquring my fear of sharks in swimming pools and have chilled out by the pool.  Am doing this before meeting up with my cousin and her husband for sups as they are here on their honeymoon.  I have also just had my first bar of chocolate since leaving England and yes, it was a Milo bar (snigger) and yes, it was amazing!  Gone a bit light headed from the sugar though...and now need a drink, arse.

So I feel that  I have gone into babble mode.  I feel that I am also missing things out, but can't think what.

I'm really glad that I have taken myself here because I know that I can spend significant time on my own and be happy, and not bored.  I was going to start writing my guide/book 'What to do when you don't know what to do' but time seems to have run away, amazingly enough!!  I think that had I been on a beach instead I probably would have started it, but then I wouldn't have seen the elephants or monkeys.  Oh yes, monkeys, this is what I was going to say.  On Tues when I was walking back to the hotel in the evening, I fancied some crisps so bought some.  I walked past the entrance of the forest not thinking about anything in particular with the unopened crisps in my hand, and about 2 minutes after I had walked past I felt something grap the packet, and fuck me, it was an adult who had seen the packaging and followed me up the hill before nicking them.  Cheeky bugger!  Fucking clever though.  Oh, and in the forest 2 children had little bottles of water and a, well I suppose, teenage money took one of the bottles, undid the lid and then drank the water!!  When it had finished, it stole the other bottle from the other child!  Fucking amazing!!!!  It reminded me not to think of them as just animals.

Well, I think that's it.  I've seen monkeys steal and drink water, nick my crisps, an elephant play the harmonica, score a goal and twirl a hula hoop around it's trunk.  I've seen beautiful buildings and landscapes - the tiered rice fields are beautiful, as is the volcano.  I've eaten yummy food, slept a lot, read a lot, had a truly wonderful time with me, and made me so grateful for being able to be here.  For being able to just be with me.  And finally, before I turn into an emotional wreck, I'm so glad that I've got ear plugs because the frogs in the field behind my room are fucking loud and would otherwise keep me up all night!!!!!

So much love to all, and thank you for those of you who have emailed me back.  I will do my best to reply to you individually without repeating myself too much!!
XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment